FW: [OM] T32 is not firing at 1/60 but at 1/30 downwards

Subject: FW: [OM] T32 is not firing at 1/60 but at 1/30 downwards
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:50:26 -0300
----------
From: Paul Riethmuller
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:07:30 +1000 (EST)
To: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] T32 is not firing at 1/60 but at 1/30 downwards

Fernando,

so you want to argue the point now ?   ;-)

I knew I had seen this in print, and it took me a while
to find it - on page 2 of my January 1981 T32 manual, the
second table in the manual.

I have some good news for you as a result.

I said earlier that all OM-2 cameras have a problem with flash sync with the
the shutter speed on manual 1/60th due to the quench signal being active.
That's absolutely true.  It's a deficiency of the circuit in the 2, fixed in
the 2N.

The clue is the T32 table, the row for OM-2, Shoe 3.  See the disclaimer
"(1/60 sec cannot be used)".  There is no such disclaimer for shoe 2 as
shoe 2 has no quench pin.

The solution is to tape over the quench contact.  It's the small one,
north-west of the main X contact on the shoe when holding the camera as you
would to look at the shutter speed.

Happy T-flashing,

Paul

P.S.  I'm a list lurker as I don't wan't my email address to be published
to avoid SPAM.  Feel free to post the solution to the list, minus my email
address.

P.P.S.  Note that the later cameras automatically set the flash sync to X
mode
when they detect a T-series flash.  They use the "flash ready" signal to do
this.  Otherwise be sure that the X/FP selector on the lens mount is set to
X.
Some owners have been known to epoxy this switch to the X position.  Guess
they have run out of flash bulbs :-)