Re: FW: [OM] T32 is not firing at 1/60 but at 1/30 downwards

Subject: Re: FW: [OM] T32 is not firing at 1/60 but at 1/30 downwards
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:50:26 -0300
Hi Paul,

> so you want to argue the point now ?   ;-)
A little bit more I'm afraid, and not happy to do so...

> I knew I had seen this in print, and it took me a while
> to find it - on page 2 of my January 1981 T32 manual, the
> second table in the manual.
I'm right now reading it, English version on page 2, 1984 T32 manual, first
table, sixth row-fourth column: OM2-->Shoe3, TTLConn3--> [Manual (1/30 sec.
or slower), Normal Auto, TTL Auto].

> I have some good news for you as a result.
>
> I said earlier that all OM-2 cameras have a problem with flash sync with the
> the shutter speed on manual 1/60th due to the quench signal being active.
> That's absolutely true.  It's a deficiency of the circuit in the 2, fixed in
> the 2N.
>
> The clue is the T32 table, the row for OM-2, Shoe 3.  See the disclaimer
> "(1/60 sec cannot be used)".  There is no such disclaimer for shoe 2 as
> shoe 2 has no quench pin.
The disclaimer is not written as such on the 1984 manual, it simply says
"Manual 1/30 or slower". There is indeed no disclaimer whatsoever for shoe
2, it only says "Manual".

> The solution is to tape over the quench contact.  It's the small one,
> north-west
> of the main X contact on the shoe when holding the camera as you would to look
> at the shutter speed.
Bad news: 1) I have also shoe1. Installed it but T32 will not fire at 1/60.
2) I taped over the quench contact on shoe3, T32 will not fire at 1/60.
On both cases fires at 1/30.

Any clue?

Will ask to Julian Davis too, who posted a very detailed explanation which I
had a difficult time to understand, but arrived to the same conclusion.
Quite surprised that neither the .pdf at olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/, nor
the /esif/om-sif/bodygroup/om2.htm point this out. Not quite surprised my
OM-2 manual says 1/60 since it considers only the QuickAuto310 - T32 didn't
exist when published.

> Happy T-flashing,
After repairing the OM-2, I'm afraid.

> Paul