[OM] Timing of the data - back trigger contact on OM2n Onwards

Subject: [OM] Timing of the data - back trigger contact on OM2n Onwards
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:07:40 +0100
For OM1 / 2 the documentation of the data backs says "set the sync to FP and
attach the cord". I can see that FP is necessary to get the data back to
trigger at speeds above X sync, but the timing should be otherwise
uncritical.
With the 2n and above, the additional complication of auto X sync selection
and the data - back trigger contact are introduced.
Then we get to 2s/3/4 and FP isn't an option.
I presume that on the 2n, there is an additional microswitch to make the
contact to the Data back trigger. I also assume that this switch is not
factory set to any particularly critical timing. Does anyone know if these
are valid assumptions? How about on OM4(Ti) with electronic switches?
The reason I would like to know is that the trigger contact could be used
for more interesting purposes if the timing were predictable, notably for
triggering the "shutter release" of a digital sensor. With the used price of
early digicams being close to nothing now, I'm considering stripping one and
making a digital back for the OMs. It was pretty simple to make an Izone
polaroid back, so this shouldn't be too hard, provided I can produce a
viable trigger.
Just need to find a crappy digicam with the physically largest sensor
possible! Any suggestions?
And a standard back with a truly dead pressure plate but good hinge and
lock. Last time around I really struggled to find one which was a 'cutting
up' candidate. Oly just made them too well!

Julian