Re: [OM] T32 is not firing at 1/60 but at 1/30 downwards

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 is not firing at 1/60 but at 1/30 downwards
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 00:01:10 +0200
Hi, again.

>The manual I have ((IEOM2.0978.8MS) says 1/30 is "recommendable". On page
>36, third column right, point 6: "Set the shutter speed ring to 1/60 second
>or slower (1/30 recommendable)".

I've got two manuals for the OM-2(n): one in English (IEOM2-0880-15MS) and
the other in Spanish (ISOM2-0381-5MS).

English version, page 35, right column, second line: 'Set the shutter speed
ring to 1/60 sec. or slower.'

Spanish version, page 35, right column, third line: 'Ajuste el aro de
velocidades de obturador en 1/30 de segundo.' [rough translation: 'Set the
shutter speed ring to 1/30 sec.']

Of course, we are talking about 'manual' flash mode, to be found on the
'Flash photography with an electronic flash unit other than the T32-T20'
section. The 'Flash photography with the T32 (or T20) electronic flash'
chapter only covers OTF-TTL auto operation.

>On page 42, Q & A: "...Check the shutter speed setting and change to 1/60 or
>slower if necessary. At Manual operation, the built in incorrect flash
>prevention system does not permit flashing at shutter speeds between 1/125
>and 1/1000 second."

English version, page 46, right column, second question: 'A: If the shutter
speed is 1/125 or faster in conjunction with the electronic flash T32 or
T20, the built-in incorrect flash prevention system does not permit
flashing. Confirm the shutter speed.'

Spanish version has the same text there (but in Spanish, of course ;-)

>On OM2-1of5.pdf, page 5, the WX mechanism (prevention of flashing at 1/125
>sec and faster) a circuit diagram is drawn stating that the WX mechanism
>would be ON at 1/60 or slower, and OFF at 1/125 or faster.

I've just seen that document (page 29, actually). What the few neurons
still alive in my brain understand, is that the WX mechanism works on the
curtains' travel, and has *nothing* to do with the speed ring position. See
below for detailed explanation.

>From my own hearing (haloperidol blood level checked and o.k.): I can hear a
>very soft click sound when turning the shutter speed ring between 1/60 and
>1/30 *ONLY*, I suppose this could be the sound of the X1-X2 contact pieces
>switching contact and that this sound should be heard between 1/125 and
>1/60.

I can't say for sure, because I'm somewhat deaf :-), but from the previous
paragraph, I don't think so. On the OM-1 and other mechanical cameras, you
can clearly hear the slow speed governor (dis)engaging between 1/30 and
1/60, but that's not the case with the OM-2.

>I was trying to point out that actual Manual and Auto exposure times were
>the same. Meter needle does not tell you that I know, I shouldn't have
>mentioned it. But 1/30, 1/60 and 1/125 do sound different.
>>
>>> I had the speeds checked recently and was told they were right.

Maybe the manual 1/60 speed is actually, say, 1/65; it wouldn't make any
noticeable underexposure (only about 1/9th of a stop!), but would be enough
to prevent the flash from firing. And 1/65 shouldn't sound quite different
from 1/60, unlike 1/30 and 1/125 will.

>As far as I understand this, the X1-X2 mechanism would be activated either
>by the position of the shutter speed ring or from the actual speed of the
>first curtain: X2 will switch to ON while X1 is still ON, regardless the
>speed set at the shutter ring.

The shutter speed ring should have no effect. The circuit is *always*
engaged, and *only* at speeds of 1/60 or slower (fully open shutter) both
switches will be 'on' for a while (very little time at 1/60, though, but
the flash is *very* quick), then (and only then) allowing flash firing.

>> Hope this helps,
>No I still feel helpless, though not hopeless...

I'm dreadfully sorry...

Muchos abrazos,

Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas

I.E.S. Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almería)

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://cjss.galeon.com>