Re: [OM] Quick Poll, What supplements your OM?

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick Poll, What supplements your OM?
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 08:51:33 -0400
At 08:59 PM 9/1/2003, you wrote:
>1)  Digital

C-5050 great little camera with lots of control. It has slow sync flash
that is not doable with OM-4t. But it is slow on response time. OK, I
*could* do it with the OM-3t... Examples I took last night with C-5050:
http://www.zuik.net/om/P9012042ssync1.jpg
http://www.zuik.net/om/P9012043ssync2.jpg

>2)  Medium Format

MF rangefinder system, not so bulky, for those more thoughtful photos.
But I don't have a MF scanner, yet... and no Rangefinder teles or macro.

>4)  Another 35mm system

As good as the OM-4t is, it has some problems, especially being as
reliable as I would like. I was at a recent photo workshop and one of
my OM-4t's metering was off by 1 stop, which you only discover if
you use the memo function and compare. A lot of the workshop was
about proper exposure, where 1/3 stop is noticeable. Needless to say
I did not get all I could have out of the workshop because of equipment
problems. So limits that are pushing me toward a N*k@n system are:

- reliability of OM's
- VR auto-focus telephotos and zooms
- 200mm macro
- film cameras are still in production
- potential for 35mm frame-sized digital, hence lens investment not lost.

But I will miss:

- larger viewfinder magnification (1:1 with 50mm vs. 1:1 with 80mm N!k*n)
- easy spot-meter operation
- low light metering
- zuiko lenses and system size

Digital - I'm happy with the engineering I see in the Olympus C-5050 and
have great hopes for the E-1 system. I am concerned about DOF control
and no long working distance macro lenses. Ultrasonic sensor cleaner,
hmm... Hopefully the E-1 shutter will be more robust than the E-20.

Wayne