Re: [OM] Quick Poll, What supplements your OM?

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick Poll, What supplements your OM?
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 21:26:53 -0300
On 9/2/03 4:34 PM, "Andrew Dacey" <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The other thing I found interesting about this thread is that I've gone
> through similar "gear envy" phases. As I mentioned above, I've considered
> expanding my MF equipment. I've debated a lot of different options from
> expanding my lens selection for the Mamiya to adopting a completely
> different setup. I've also been seriously looking at 35mm rangefinder
> equipment (Voigtl*nder, possibly the odd piece of Lei$a glass).

I don't normally reply to my own posts but somewhere in the writing of this
initial message at work I lost what the whole point I was trying to get to
was.

I mentioned that I've been considering a lot of gear. I know I've posted for
advice on the list in the past about this. What's my decision been? Well I
made a promise that I wouldn't buy any new photo equipment until I used up
all the film I currently have. I had a lot of film kicking around and some
of it has gotten pretty old. So far I've been making some good progress
towards using up my 35mm stock.

The big thing though is that it's gotten me back to what's important,
shooting more. I've really had fun going out working through these rolls. I
think this is definitely good advice for anyone considering acquiring new
equipment. Getting out with your existing gear will help reinforce what it
is you like about your current setup. It'll help focus you on what you'd
like to add. You may find that you can really enjoy the gear you have. Maybe
you just need a new lens instead of a whole new system. On the other hand,
if you find yourself consistently running into situations where you're
thinking, "if only I had x, I could get this shot" then you've helped
justify what it is you need the new gear for. Either way, you'll be able to
make a more informed decision.

For me, I'm a process guy. It's the experience of going out and taking the
pictures that I live for. I think that's clear in how much I talk about the
feel of my equipment and the way it works. Since the big thing for me is
being out getting the shots, that's a really important part of my
experience. If I don't like working with the body then my enjoyment of the
shooting will be lessened. Other people have different priorities. For them,
the experience of shooting may not be as important as other things. Don't
get me wrong, I like to see good results from my shooting, but I really find
it's the process of shooting that gives me the biggest charge.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx