Re: [OM] 200 or 300mm Zuiko prime?

Subject: Re: [OM] 200 or 300mm Zuiko prime?
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:51:45 -0500
More opinions and options:

The 200/5 ($75-100) is great if you don't use it much, as it's so light you can
carry it often.  It's really not much good with a 2x, given the resulting
slowness of ~f/11.  If you think you'll only need 200, use the 2x with the
100/2.8.  The 200/4 is plentiful too, but I don't think it's quality is all
that great (ditto the 300/4.5), IME middle-of-the-pack performance (which isn't
saying that it's bad, just not exceptional.

I wouldn't buy the 180/2.8, personally, with it's chromatic aberration.  I
prefer the internal focusing Tamron SP ED 180/2.5, which can be fit with a very
nice, inexpensive ($60) 1.4x or a 2x (only get the BBAR SP versions that fit
between the adaptall mount and the lens).

You could also try a Sigma 400/5.6 Apo, which when supported right, is a nice
lens for $125-200.  That would give you a LOT of reach, and it's about the same
size/weight as the Zuiko 300 for less money.

Any use of a converter will degrade the lens quality, with the exception that
the very best 1.4x converters introduce minimal degredation when used with
matched lenses.

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost