Re: [OM] 200 or 300mm Zuiko prime?

Subject: Re: [OM] 200 or 300mm Zuiko prime?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 21:57:47 -0700
Well, for reach across water, the 300 will beat the 200... but if its only a
river or small pond, you might find the 300 is -too- long. A 200 will bring
the subject twice as close as your existing 100 (4X 'normal' instead of 2X)
while a 300 will bring it three times closer (6X 'normal' instead of 2X).

The 300 is hard to hand-hold successfully, you almost have to use 1/500 or
1/1000 shutter speed (or faster with OM-3 and OM-4's). The 200 -can- be
successfully hand-held *with care* at 1/250 with sharp results... this is
difficult and iffy with the 300.

Both the Zuiko 200/4.0 and the 200/5.0 are good lenses, the 300/4.5 is a
very good lens also. If you use a 2x converter, even of the 'better'
7-element types, you will lose speed and quality. This may be an acceptable
tradeoff to you. The Zuiko 2X-A will work with the Zuiko 200's and the 300,
it may be of better quality than the Vivitar but I haven't tested these
combinations.

My opinion is that the 300 is more 'narrow' in usefulness than the 200 focal
length, I would get the 200 first. But then, eventually, you end up with one
of each <g>
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...