Re: [OM] Jim's Excellent Adventure...

Subject: Re: [OM] Jim's Excellent Adventure...
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <omlist@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:40:33 +0200
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:41:01 -0500
"Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've not been to Egypt, but here are my suggestions based on trips
> to Italy, Spain, Portugal, England, Scotland, and Argentina.
> Although the travel is for pleasure, photography is an important
> part.
>
> First, let me get this out of the way: I always travel with my XA
> (no flash) loaded with Tri-X. It is always in my pants pocket.
> Always.

Well, I'm going with an Olympus 35RD with Pan F, and I always carry a
small purse around, but the idea is the same.

> Now that that's over, lets be methodical.
>
> Film: I always shoot color negative film. First, no one wants to
> sit through slide shows, and anyway, they require planning, and are
> an event of sorts. Everyone wants to take some 4x6 prints to show
> friends. No one wants to spend time pondering exposure, either. On
> most travels, you can't say "Lets come back later when the light is
> better." You need to get what you can when it presents itself to
> you. I use Fuji 400 speed with the four layer emulsion. It combines
> the ability to deal with mixed lighting with a more forgiving
> nature. I sometimes use Fuji 1600 for after dark street photos.

Matter of preference. I always shoot slides + B/W. And I always say
"I'll go back when the light is better", not expecting anyone else to
follow. I am usually not travelling in a group but with colleagues
for work, so that gives a bit of freedom.

> Cameras: I'm not that old, but the last thing I want to deal with
> is tons of equipment. As you are taking a group tour, this will be
> important.

Ahmm...well, I have once, and once only been on a "group tour". I was
on Hawaii (Oahu) and wanted to get out of the Waikiki area so I
signed up for an all-day around-the-island thing with a tour
guide/driver person. We were, I think, 12 adults. Well, suffice to
say, I disapprove of being shuffled around like a cattle on a farm
from comercial venue to comercial venue (which, of course, had
agreements with the tour operator) and talked down to as if I was a 6
year old with comprehension problems.

I was out 150 USD from a trip which did little but upset me severely
and which just evokes bad memory of what I think otherwise is a
wonderful place.

Never and never again will you find me on a tour bus. Never.....!

> We mainly travel alone, to our own schedule, so I can
> only imagine what three bodies, a half dozen lenses, and a tripod
> will seem like after a week on someone elses schedule. (oh, and
> leave the tripod at home. Nobody wants to deal with you on a
> crowded tour bus or airplane, much less on a city street.

In general, I've found that a monopod is easier in a crowd than a
tripod. However here's a pickle: a monopod cannot go in the cabin in
an aircraft, since it is "dangerous". A tripod, however, is a piece
of photographic equipment, so that's ok in the cabin. Yes, I speak
from painful experience in arguing with security personel, who refuse
to think of a "monopod" as anything related to photography....

> If you
> can't hand hold by now, give up coffee.)

WHAT!!! So what do you propose I do to keep down the
blood-concentration in my caffeine-streams?

> sorry to this group, but
> my Xpan is a must on trips,

Was that the H-blad camera or the film?

> but confining myself to OM only, I
> would take the OM4, 28-48, something longer in the 85-135 range,
> and perhaps a 50/1.2. If you can't get the job done with this,
> reconsider it all, and take and M3 with a 35. Now there's
> discipline!

*gg* :) Going single-lens for a while is quite good exercise...

> Take two kinds of photos, memories, and art. Just remember to enjoy
> the finer things as well, including food, wine, and the ability to
> buy Cuban cigars.

So you suggest that I quite coffee, take up smoking and get a H-blad
camera? Hmmmmm....what's it comming to with you? :)

--thomas

> Bill Pearce

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)