[OM] Jim's Excellent Adventure...

Subject: [OM] Jim's Excellent Adventure...
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:41:01 -0500
I've not been to Egypt, but here are my suggestions based on trips to Italy,
Spain, Portugal, England, Scotland, and Argentina. Although the travel is
for pleasure, photography is an important part.

First, let me get this out of the way: I always travel with my XA (no flash)
loaded with Tri-X. It is always in my pants pocket. Always.

Now that that's over, lets be methodical.

Film: I always shoot color negative film. First, no one wants to sit through
slide shows, and anyway, they require planning, and are an event of sorts.
Everyone wants to take some 4x6 prints to show friends. No one wants to
spend time pondering exposure, either. On most travels, you can't say "Lets
come back later when the light is better." You need to get what you can when
it presents itself to you. I use Fuji 400 speed with the four layer
emulsion. It combines the ability to deal with mixed lighting with a more
forgiving nature. I sometimes use Fuji 1600 for after dark street photos.

Cameras: I'm not that old, but the last thing I want to deal with is tons of
equipment. As you are taking a group tour, this will be important. We mainly
travel alone, to our own schedule, so I can only imagine what three bodies,
a half dozen lenses, and a tripod will seem like after a week on someone
elses schedule. (oh, and leave the tripod at home. Nobody wants to deal with
you on a crowded tour bus or airplane, much less on a city street. If you
can't hand hold by now, give up coffee.) sorry to this group, but my Xpan is
a must on trips, but confining myself to OM only, I would take the OM4,
28-48, something longer in the 85-135 range, and perhaps a 50/1.2. If you
can't get the job done with this, reconsider it all, and take and M3 with a
35. Now there's discipline!

Take two kinds of photos, memories, and art. Just remember to enjoy the
finer things as well, including food, wine, and the ability to buy Cuban
cigars.

Bill Pearce