Re: [OM] Set me straight, fine grain != good resolution?

Subject: Re: [OM] Set me straight, fine grain != good resolution?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:39:55 -0500
At 06:54 AM 7/17/03, Joel Wilcox wrote:

This is what Peter Kolonia wrote in PP (have the article before me): "Velvia 50, however, trumped the competition [between Velvia 100F and E100VS] in resolving power, with the ability to distinguish 81 line pairs per millimeter (lp/mm) in our resolution tests, compared to 72 lp/mm for both Velvia 100F and E100VS. Is this significant? Probably not for general photography, but it could be a factor in mural-sized enlargements" (PP, Aug 2003, p. 66).

John, where do you see the potential for ambiguity?

Joel W.

Mea Culpa . . . it was a portion of the thread that was inadvertently snipped out, and it wasn't written by you. I had to read it several times to understand it . . . not that I haven't written some things that later reading told me would be difficult to understand:

For example, Provia100F is fine grain than Velvia 50 but Velvia has more resolution (e.g. can capture more details). The Velvia 100F was a step in the right direction for the "best" film, I guess.

-- John