Re: [OM] Set me straight, fine grain != good resolution?

Subject: Re: [OM] Set me straight, fine grain != good resolution?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 06:54:53 -0500

At 11:32 PM 7/16/03, Joel Wilcox wrote:

Except that 100F also doesn't resolve as well as Velvia 50, according to the Pop Photography review this month (81 lines to 100F's 72 lines).

Joel W.

At 12:16 AM 7/17/2003 -0500, John L. wrote:
I think this is what he said, although the sentence was long with fair number of pronouns (can cause ambiguities). In any event, their respective MTF curves explain why this is.

I omitted my understanding of how to interpret MTF graphs in my previous posting (mea culpa). Look at the curve from about 10 lppmm through about 40 or 50 lppmm. IIRC, Velvia 50 actually rises above 100 0.000000or a portion of this region. Those films (and print materials and lenses) that have a very high curve in this region tend to have higher accutance; i.e. they are capable of producing photographs that look sharper. This is in spite of how the curve rolls off in the high lppmm.
<snip>

This is what Peter Kolonia wrote in PP (have the article before me): "Velvia 50, however, trumped the competition [between Velvia 100F and E100VS] in resolving power, with the ability to distinguish 81 line pairs per millimeter (lp/mm) in our resolution tests, compared to 72 lp/mm for both Velvia 100F and E100VS. Is this significant? Probably not for general photography, but it could be a factor in mural-sized enlargements" (PP, Aug 2003, p. 66).

John, where do you see the potential for ambiguity?

Joel W.