Re: [OM] Set me straight, fine grain != good resolution?

Subject: Re: [OM] Set me straight, fine grain != good resolution?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:16:28 -0500
At 11:32 PM 7/16/03, Joel Wilcox wrote:

Except that 100F also doesn't resolve as well as Velvia 50, according to the Pop Photography review this month (81 lines to 100F's 72 lines).

Joel W.

I think this is what he said, although the sentence was long with fair number of pronouns (can cause ambiguities). In any event, their respective MTF curves explain why this is.

I omitted my understanding of how to interpret MTF graphs in my previous posting (mea culpa). Look at the curve from about 10 lppmm through about 40 or 50 lppmm. IIRC, Velvia 50 actually rises above 100 0.000000or a portion of this region. Those films (and print materials and lenses) that have a very high curve in this region tend to have higher accutance; i.e. they are capable of producing photographs that look sharper. This is in spite of how the curve rolls off in the high lppmm.

What you end up with in a print is not just the MTF of the film. It's the combined MTF of the entire system of camera lens, film, enlarger lens and print material (emulsion). Anything and everything that has its own MTF affects the final outcome.

In projecting slides, its camera lens, film and projection lens. Screen surface also has an effect, but doesn't have an MTF per se. It's more like print surface finish; glossy shows higher detail than matte. A pure white matte screen will show more detail than a glass bead, at the cost of reflectance for which glass bead is the highest of standard screen materials.

Keep in mind the entire system when striving for highest possible accutance in a photograph. The highest accutance film cannot compensate for a low accutance camera lens. If the camera lens doesn't project as much or more detail level to the film plane as the film can record, the film cannot record it.

-- John