Re: [OM] Set me straight, fine grain != good resolution?

Subject: Re: [OM] Set me straight, fine grain != good resolution?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:23:17 -0500
At 07:16 PM 7/16/03, Albert asked:
OK, someone set me straight..

Fine grained means the grain size is small; high resolution means it resolves a lot more?

Except in my head, I keep thinking, if the grain is smaller, the resolution should be higher??

Or are they mutually exclusive?

No, they're not mutually exclusive. The are related. However, resolving power of the film is depicted by its Modulation Transfer Function, or MTF. If you want to know the capability of a particular film to record detail level, the MTF graph for that film contains the necessary information. Knowing how to interpret one, and compare the graphs for different films is another matter. The MTF is a combination of resolution capability and contrast. Without sufficient contrast, resolution cannot be discerned. If either is taken to an extreme, the other will be compromised. It is better to think in terms of accutance, which is ability of a human to detect recorded details. They may be present, but if the human eye cannot detect it, it's as if they're not.

A logician/mathematician would tell you:
If high resolving power, then very fine grain. However it's not an "if and only if" relationship.

Likewise a scientist would tell you:
Very fine grain is a necessary, but not a sufficient condition for high resolving power.

In layman's terms:
A high resolving power film will have very fine grain. However, a film with very fine grain does not necessarily have high resolving power. Most do though. Very fine grain is an enabler, but not the only factor in film resolving power. Grain shape, physical emulsion structure and contrastiness of the emulsion chemically are also factors.

Velvia shows better accutance in its MTF curve compared to Provia 100F, even though Provia 100F is slightly finer grained (emphasis on slightly). Likewise, Kodachrome 64 has higher accutance than most ISO 100 E-6 films because of its emulsion structure, even though most of the ISO 100 E-6 films are slightly finer grained.

-- John