Re: [OM] Please critique my macros

Subject: Re: [OM] Please critique my macros
From: "Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 13:02:50 -0600
> DOF is difficult to control in macro shots I've discovered.  1/4th of
> an inch added every F=stop or so doesn't really make a person jump
> for joy..

 That's what I thought, too, but it's surprising how much difference it
makes if you shut the lens down as far as you can manage.

> Also, if I handhold, I'm scared to drop below 2x focal length, just
> for good measurements.  So I don't go below 250th when handholding,
> so my DOF is a bit limited.

 That's what I was talking about with off-camera flash (or on-camera, but I
don't know about shadowing from the lens-- a macro-specific flash would help
there, but they're expensive. This:
http://www.danielmitchell.net/gal/Photography/ringflash
 is a cheaper alternative, but I didn't do a lot of testing with it, I'll
admit).

> I like that yellow flower of yours..  What lens is that?  Very very
> closeup..

 Actually, it's not as close as you might think -- it's a sunflower, and
those are _big_ flowers.. Lens was just a 50mm on extension tubes for those,
I reckon it's probably only about 1:1 magnification at most.

 -- dan