Re: [OM] Avoiding X-Ray Machines & Need U.K. Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Avoiding X-Ray Machines & Need U.K. Advice
From: Giles <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:26:30 +0100

I think there has been a big change in the handling of parcels world wide since the business with anthrax in the US.

Here in Ireland, customs declaration stickers you put on overseas parcels now require you to give your name and address. You used to just describe a parcels contents and value and sign it.

I believe in Australia you now have to take photo ID to the post office when posting a parcel. There too, you used to just have to list the contents and value.

I extrapolate from this that many other countries have probably tightened up procedures for handling packages.

Giles

Sorry, I can't give you an answer on the x-raying of post, but there has
been less fuss in UK over terrorism than in USA due to having lived with it
so long from other sources.  e.g. they may sniff for Semtex but afaik not
for Anthrax.