Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 13:12:15 -0700
I don't think I would use a ball-head for serious panoramic stitching. You not only have to level the tripod to head connection, which that beautiful piece of hardware does for you, but then you have to level the camera with the ball. I have a bubble level that fit in the flash shoe to do that. All that work and equipment and the lens will still be swiveling around a point some distance from its central axis and mismatch between frames will result. One needs either one of the commercial adapters or a home made one (both of which have been discussed on the list) to move the rotation point under the lens.

The recently mentioned Bogen 3047 head has bubble levels built in to level the camera platform. Combined with legs like the 3236, also with a built-in bubble level (and lever leg length locks and infinitely adjustable leg angle locks), one can get everything level without a bunch of extra equipment, but a panorama adapter is still needed for serious work. With a panorama adapter to do the swiveling up at the top of the head, only initial leveling of the camera/adapter with the head is necessary, the top of the tripod need not be level. A head like the 3047 with big levels for both axes is ideal. A flash shoe level should work too, although with less accuracy.

Moose

W Shumaker wrote:

What I want is a way to level the tripod for panoramic stitching. So I bought a bogen head leveler. There was a lot of excess metal, so you can see I took the hack saw and drill press to it to remove as much weight as possible. http://www.zuik.net/om/P2100396web.jpg <http://www.zuik.net/om/P2100396web.jpg>It is still a bit heavy. Any suggestions for ballhead leveling?

I guess the next topic should be quick release plates and systems...