Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 10:24:02 -0800

I like the Gitzo's better than the bogens for the locking system; the Bogens always "bit" me when my hands were cold.. But given the price difference, I'll probably buy a bogen.

Question::

Gitzo G1377 heads..  how are they?  This is the one I'm semi-settling on.

The G 1377 M is an excellent ball head for the money, quite good in its own right, really. However, by all reports the Arca Swiss is more capable, and one of these days I'll likely break down and get one of those. As I said earlier, I would have bought the B1 originally, but as it turned out none were available going on three years ago when I put my new travelling kit together, so I settled for the one from Gitzo. No complaints, but those who've handled both say the B1 makes life easier . . . at a considerably higher price, though.

The money you save on a Gitzo head (as opposed to an Arca Swiss) might be wisely invested in the Gitzo tripod. Those are simply the best.

How do they compare to the G1376 offset ball heads? The clerk says they are the easiest to use...

Says which are easiest? Off hand I'd guess the 1377 would be, but I haven't tried the offset variety.

Tris