[OM] M42->OM Adapter

Subject: [OM] M42->OM Adapter
From: Larry Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 15:29:59 -0400
Cc: lmwoods@xxxxxxx
I am scanning through a backlog of unread OM-list digests, and saw the
following question without an immediate answer except for some comments
that they had never heard of such a beast.

Matt BenDaniel <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Tue, 01 Apr 2003 11:46:56:

> Anyone have an M42->OM adapter they'd be willing to part with?
> - --
> Matt BenDaniel
> matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://starmatt.com

I have such an adapter.  It adapts M42 lenses to mount on OM bodies.
I hadn't been thinking of selling it, but then on the other hand,
I haven't been using it either.  The brand name is Marumi, which I
gather is a solid second-string accessory brand in the Asia-Pacific
zone that never made it big in the USA (think Soligor, Kalimar, Kalt,
etc.)

It has a single-element lens in the adapter to adjust for infinity
focus.  All lenses that fit the adapter will focus to infinity.  The
OM flange starts further away from the film than the M42 flange, plus
the adapter adds some additional distance.  Optically, the adapter is
acting as a ~1.1x teleconverter, and as such adds ~10% to the lens's
effective focal length and eats up maybe 1/4 of an f-stop.  It also
adds the extra piece of glass in the optical path.

The aperture operates totally manually.  With Pentax lenses or other
M42 lenses with an "auto/manual" switch on the lens, however, you can
make them function in a sort-of preset mode, by using Auto to focus wide
open, and then flip to manual to stop down the lens to the indicated
f-stop.

As I had said, I hadn't thought of selling it, but I suppose I could be
tempted for something in the $65-$75 range, plus shipping.  It is
like-new in its box.

     ----- Larry Woods   lmwoods@xxxxxxx