Re: [OM] Re: Some comment on digital resolution and Oly 4/3 system

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Some comment on digital resolution and Oly 4/3 system
From: Donald Shedrick <shedridc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:32:57 -0800 (PST)
Thanks for the good comments, Jay.  It makes sense.  Does what you
call a good digital camera equal (or exceed) film in dynamic range -
highlight and shadow detail.  I realize this will vary with film type
and speed.  An example of what I mean - a ring with bright
reflections on the hand of a woman is washed out in its detail on the
scan (as viewed on the monitor and the Fuji print, but on the print
directly from the film (Portra 160) all the detail on the ring is
clear - and this is just a high quality machine print - no custom
work.
To answer your questions:
The prints from the scans using the Fuji Frontier system are
extremely close to what I see on my monitor and they are very
consistent.  The scanner is the Poloroid Sprint Scan 35 Plus, which
has been one of the highly regarded 2700 dpi scanners of its time
(since discontinued and superceded by 4000 dpi models).

=====