[OM] Re: Some comment on digital resolution and Oly 4/3 system

Subject: [OM] Re: Some comment on digital resolution and Oly 4/3 system
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:33:45 -0800

Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:12:15 -0500
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>

Yesterday I happened to visit a pro photographer who uses a 6 megapixel
Canon for much of his work.  I noticed a 30x40 (inch) family portrait
propped against the wall and inquired what he had used to shoot it.  I
knew he had a Pentax 645 and a Mamiya RB67 and was astounded to discover
that this gigantic image was made with the 6 megapixel Canon.  It's
surprising since 8x10 is about the best I can do from my 2700 dpi scans
of 35mm film which is approximately 9 megapixels.

Yes! I have been saying this on this list for *months* now. The pro group I work with routinely produces 30X40" beautiful prints when upscaled using the proprietary rescaling algorithms from Pictopia, Emeryville, CA. Guess no one believed me. I've been using a 6 megapixel Canon body for 4 mos. now (semi-professionally, I guess, as photos I take from it are routinely sold), and I can tell you, the print quality I get from it is just stunning. It comes as NO surprise to me at all that you found this with the pro you visited. IMHO, people on this list are still way to concerned with the no. of pixels in the sensor and nothing else. There is more to it than that...the "imaging engine" has a LOT to do with it. Canon's new DIGIC engine, which is in the S45, the G3, and the new D10 produces absolutely beautiful, VERY high quality images. The D60 is no slouch, either.

If you read the review article, by Jay Abend, of the Canon 1Ds in the March issue of Shutterbug (and if you have any doubts about the quality of digital, you should), the author, who is a long-time working pro, says that the Canon 1Ds produces image quality that is as better than medium format sheet film. In fact, his printer, who sees *everything* in the way of high-end work from the top digital backs every day with respect to producing image quality, came back with proofs and has asked him "Are these digital shots?" When Jay said they were taken with the 1Ds, the printer said, "Well, they're gorgeous!". [Andrew Dacey, take note :-) ]

Chuck, I am pleased you took the initiative to try your experiment and were pleased with the results.

-Stephen Scharf

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!