Re: [OM] Re: Some comment on digital resolution and Oly 4/3 system

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Some comment on digital resolution and Oly 4/3 system
From: Donald Shedrick <shedridc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 19:37:32 -0800 (PST)
When I scan a good Kodachrome slide with my 2700 dpi scanner
resulting in a 3600 x 2400 pixel image (8.64 MP image size)the
resulting image is noticably less in resolution, and in dynamic range
of highlight and shadow detail than the slide original.  My question
is how would a 8 MP digital camera image compare to the scanned image
and the film image in resolution and dynamic range?  If the digital
camera image is similar to my scanned images, then digital camera has
quite a way to go before it comes close to challenging film.
I recently printed in 8 x 10 size some images from Kodak Portra 160.
Most I had printed directly from the film, but some I scanned first
because they needed some digital modifications, then I had them
printed by the Fuji Frontier system.  While this system is the best
and most economical I have found, the prints from the scanner had
noticeably less resolution and dynamic range.  In a 5 x 7 size, the
differences were hard to see unless a magnifier is used on the
prints.

=====