Re: [OM] Re: Some comment on digital resolution and Oly 4/3 system

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Some comment on digital resolution and Oly 4/3 system
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 11:33:32 +0800
In my experience (C2000, E-10 and Canon S30) digital camera is only one or
two stop better than slide. I always set -1/3 stop for C2000 and E-10, for
Canon S30 I set -2/3 otherwise the highlight is easily blow out. I also set
to lowest contrast mode for them all. I don't think digital camera has 10
stop range. If you need more forgiven exposure or capture from the brightest
to darkest details, use lower speed negative but don't use Portra 160, it is
the poorest negative (in term of under exposure) I have ever used.

Talking about S30, the lens is just like a very cheap plastic lens (I think
it is also the same on S45), the peripheral resolution is poor and soft. The
problem was also reported on DC test site but they said it is the corner
slightly soft only but I'm pretty sure they have a very loose standard.

Going back to slide, if you have a good film scanner you will amaze on what
you can get from the shadow details that look very dark when projected, the
Nikon LS4000 do very well here.

C.H.Ling