Re: [OM] Provia sucked..

Subject: Re: [OM] Provia sucked..
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 00:44:41 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Albert" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2003 12:14 PM
Subject: [OM] Provia sucked..

> Provia sucked... in my hands..  I am use to shooting very forgiving
> Reala, and so my provia shots sucked ... arrg!

Yes, if you're used to negs, slide film is very unforgiving. But the big
payoff is the look. Personally, I just love the look of a well composed
chrome. I never really got into colour neg but I just found that I never
really liked the look of it very much (I think it's mostly to do with the
greater contrast you tend to get from slide film). But a lot of this also
has to do with the printing. That's the biggest thing I like about slides.
If I get back a bad slide I know it's my own fault (assuming the processing
was done properly). With negs, you're too much at the mercy of the printer
and what they THINK your print is supposed to look like. When I was taking a
photo course, we did a night shoot just after sunset. One of the students
got back prints that almost looked like they were taken in daylight because
the printer assumed that the negs were underexposed.

In terms of improving your photographic skills, I would definitely recommend
sticking with slide. It will definitely show any errors in your technique
far more than print film will. Later on, if you should go back to print film
(either b&w or colour), the discipline you've learned from slide film will
serve you well. What you might want to consider for learnig though would be
to try a cheaper slide film. I've gotten pretty good results with Fuji's
Sensia 100 and locally it's far cheaper. Of course where I live we pay
significantly higher for pro slide film for some reason (roughly $15 CAD per
roll for Provia, which is about $10 US) so the difference in price for you
may not be as extreme.

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/