Re: [OM] .....how to clean negatives.....

Subject: Re: [OM] .....how to clean negatives.....
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 17:33:45 -0700
At 08:09 AM 3/10/2003 +0800, you wrote:
Dear All...
How does one clean away the fungus stains on negatives, whether b&w or
colour.....?

I fear you can't. It's probably feeding on what's left of the gelatin emulsion, and has etched the surface. Since gelatin's organic, I suspect the etching process will happen *much* faster than it would on a glass surface. You might try re-washing the neg, or perhaps use some specialized cleaning solvent which doesn't go after gelatin or the polymer base. One place on the Web I found with what seems to be sound advice is here:

   http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/mckaylet052701.html

Good luck.

Garth