[OM] Canon FS2710 Scanner, SCSI and Win XP

Subject: [OM] Canon FS2710 Scanner, SCSI and Win XP
From: Oly Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 22:28:31 -0800 (PST)
I haven't been very active on the list because I'm
moving my rather complex computer life from a 333mz
Win98 box to a 2.8gz XP Pro box (old car to rocket
ship!).

I believe someone posted before that the Canoscan
FS2710 can't be used under XP. THAT IS NOT TRUE!! The
solution I found may be of interest beyond just my
specific problem as it would seem to apply generally
for SCSI under Win2000 & XP.

Canon USA says it is not supported under XP and the
latest version of their scanning software, 3.6.2 isn't
XP ready. Canon Europe has a version of the CanoCraft
software (3.6.6) available for download that expressly
supports XP.

XP has a driver for the Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSI card
that Canon supplied, but, as the Canon manual says for
earlier versions of Windoz, it doesn't work. The new
version of Canoscan runs, but can't find the
card/scanner. All kinds of searching didn't find an XP
driver for the  card and the old drivers don't work.

I don't use the Canon software anyway, so I tried
Vuescan. It also couldn't find the SCSI card, but said
"If you're using Windows 2000 or Windows XP and a SCSI
scanner and if VueScan doesn't find your SCSI scanner,
you may need to download and install ASPI" The
Hamrick.com site has 2 different links to Adaptec
sites (Neither of which I found directly on the
Adaptec support site.) for downloading ASPI (different
file names at each location). One wasn't working at
that moment, although it seems to now. I used
http://download.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspi_v472a2.exe
One of the docs explains "The Advanced SCSI
Programming Interface (ASPI) for Win32 was designed to
increase compatibility and simplify the connection of
SCSI peripheral devices like tape, CD-ROM, WORM,
magneto-optical, scanners, and other devices. It
defines a protocol for SCSI applications (called ASPI
modules) to submit I/O requests to a single operating
system driver (called the ASPI manager). Access to the
operating system driver is made through a Dynamic Link
Library named WNASPI32.DLL." So it's like a layer that
mediates between Win2000/XP and SCSI devices.

In any case, it works! Both CanoCraft and Vuescan can
now scan sucessfully. One more XP compatability
solved!

Moose