Re: [OM] Portrait lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Portrait lens
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 12:51:12 -0800
Hello everybody,

I dont post very much.
I am affraid my english may not be correct.

Has anybody used or made tests of Voigtlander/Cosina 75mm ?
I have the 100/2.8 and 50/3.5, think the 85/2 to close from the 100mm.
I am interested with this 75mm.
An other possibility is to trade the 100 for 85 ;-)

I own also : OM1N 35/2.8 28/3.5 21/3.5.
The last, the more recent.
Use of WA, first experience, was very impressing for me.
Now I am still to far from the subject but I am learning...
fischerchristian@xxxxxxx

Your English is welcome on the list. Much better than the French on the list. :-)

There seem to be two philosophies for collecting lens of different focal lengths. One schools thinks that you should be able to stand in one place and get continuous coverage with the long dimension of the frame approximating the short dimension of the frame for the previous lens. For instance going from the 50 mm to the 85, what is gathered in the height of the 50 mm frame will approximate what is gather in the width of the 85 mm frame. That is how you get the common sequence where each focal length is about 2/3 of the next such as 21, 35, 50, 85(a little jump here), 135, 200, 300, 500 and so on.

Other people who like more of a difference when they change lenses tend to go for a 50% ratio. They don't worry if there is a little gap in coverage because they can always move around. Typical sequence is 24, 50, 100, 200, 400.

Others just buy lenses they think they will like and will be really useful for the kind of shooting they do. So many of us have a 50mm or two, a 50 mm macro, and a zoom that covers 50mm. Not too rational, but a history of our enthusiasms.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California