Re: [OM] Portrait lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Portrait lens
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 22:12:05 -0800
on 12/19/02 11:31 AM, fischerchristian at fischerchristian@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I dont post very much.
> I am affraid my english may not be correct.
>
> Has anybody used or made tests of Voigtlander/Cosina 75mm ?
> I have the 100/2.8 and 50/3.5, think the 85/2 to close from the 100mm.
> I am interested with this 75mm.
> An other possibility is to trade the 100 for 85 ;-)
>
> I own also : OM1N 35/2.8 28/3.5 21/3.5.
> The last, the more recent.
> Use of WA, first experience, was very impressing for me.
> Now I am still to far from the subject but I am learning...
>
> fischerchristian@xxxxxxx

Christian -- Your English is quite OK, much better than my French!

By Cosina-Voigtlander 75mm I assume you mean the SLR lens.
Cosina-Voigtlander makes a range of lenses for the Leica screw mount cameras
(and Leica M with adapter). They also make some of these lenses in mounts
for old Nikon rangefinder and Contax rangefinder bodies. These lenses are
regarded very well.

If the SLR lenses use a similar optical design they should be quite good. I
have seen many pictures posted on the internet taken with the rangefinder
Cosina-Voigtlander lenses which look very good.

Cosina makes SLR cameras which are sold with many different names, possibly
some lenses sold as Minolta or Nikon or Canon were actually manufactured by
Cosina, probably to a design by the 'named' company.

If you like the 75mm focal length, it may be a good choice. I really like
the Zuiko 85/2.0, it is compact, easy to focus, and works well indoors
without flash. They are popular enough to be rather expensive compared to
the 100/2.8 and 75-150/4.0 zoom which are near the same focal length.
--

Jim Brokaw