[OM] Arrg! Non-photographer giving camera advice!

Subject: [OM] Arrg! Non-photographer giving camera advice!
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:36:24 +0800
Arrg! My gf and all her friends are looking to get a digital camera and one of her friends who has never taken a picture in his life and doesn't own a single camera; he is now giving digital camera advice... (rolling eyes)

He says that ISO has little to do with anything, and you want as low of an ISO as possible as it gives the best quality... Sure... but if your hands are as unsteady as my gf's, and it's low light situation, a higher ISO is a consideration. He says ISO is just picking how grainy you want your pictures, that's it... Ug! He has no idea what ISO selection is, yet he is an expert on cameras! I'm soooo annoyed by this. Also, the store clerks seem to be clueless as well. "Oh, this camera, it is so wonderful it might even cure AIDS!" Right, whatever..

That is one thing I do miss, shopping at Samy's. Most shoot more rolls in a week then I do in a year. They can personally attest to why they like certain things, and what things sound good, but never get used in the field..

They only care about the megapixel count. It can be a coke bottle for a lens, and they don't care, as long as the pixel count is high.. The dumming down of consumers at its lowest point.

Albert