[OT] L*I*A - Was [OM] Zuiko 50/ vs Noctilux again

Subject: [OT] L*I*A - Was [OM] Zuiko 50/ vs Noctilux again
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:26:17 -0000
One could say two out of three for some of the Zuiko options....
Rant...
Let's face it L*i*a either grabs you or it doesn't. From my point of view
it's like several other German products. Nice enough. Arguably, but not
decisively, the best, and priced to show how well - heeled the owner is, not
to reflect any marginal quality gain. Of course, German products aren't
alone in this, but where else are Dusseldorf taxis made alongside
aspirational autos?
The thing I find amusing about it is the hype about the M7 and its new
shutter. Actually removing the shutter and all other functional elements
would actually be more appropriate for the use to which the MAJORITY of
these will be put (with apologies to anyone out there who wants one to
actually use - you're in the minority of potential owners) L*i*a would look
more truthful if they listed the real reasons for the M7:
1) First real reason not to buy a battered old M3 instead. Not better, but
at least a real change!
2) Electronic shutters are SOOO much cheaper to make these days than decent
mech ones.
3) Opportunity to increase the surface area available for polishing, gold
plating and inscribing with those cute memorial notices, just so this one
can be even more special,, and even less likely to leave the box.
4) it must be months since the last "must have everything" owners bought an
M6-TTL-0.72-GTI-ALLIGATORSKIN-RHODIUMFINISH with the slightly different knob
which does nothing but makes it more collectable. Must keep the faithful
supplied with objects of desire!
And if "I'm missing the point", it's because it doesn't grab me, not because
L*i*a is the one true path and I am a mistaken fool. I may be a mistaken
fool for other reasons, but not this one. Maitani is the one true path.
Anyone can see that! etc etc etc.
Rant over
The points he makes about the noctilux are pretty much inherent in all large
aperture lenses. I wonder what he thouht he was getting (as opposed to what
he wrote in its favour)
BTW is it this one which obscures a fair portion of the viewfinder field -
of - view?

Julian
Cambs, UK

The above statements are inaccurate (at best)