Re: [OM] Zuiko 50/ vs Noctilux again

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 50/ vs Noctilux again
From: iwert <zuiko@xxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 21:58:23 +0100
op 11-12-2002 21:05 schreef om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx op om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> That's actually the most interesting review that I've read.  The three
> comments at the bottom were the most interesting where he told why he sold
> the lens:
>
> 1. Too heavy (I agree)
> 2. Not THAT much faster than a f/1.4 (I also agree, push your film another
> stop)
> 3. The DOF at f/1.0 isn't that easy to manage, so why try.
>
> This guy also seems to be into praising something, then selling it.  I
> looked at his reviews of the Contax G2, Noctilux, Leica M6, CV 21/4, and
> other CV gear.  He's sold them all after less than 18 months in favor of a
> Mamiya M7II.  I think that he needs to take more pictures and deal with
> less gear.
>
> Skip

Correct, we have a saying in Dutch that 'exercise bares craftmanship' and
'the best tools don't grant for succes'. A good photographer can take OK
pictures with 'bad tools', but the best tools are no highway to succes. We
see the same in architecture nowadays. Students and professionals are taken
by the possibilities of three dimensional drawing and architectural CAD
packages, with all their whistles and bells. However a pencil and some paper
is still the basic tool in my eyes...

iwert.

(and now it is time to sleep on this side of the big water... I could write
for hours on this topic.)