Re: [OM] [OT] Canon announces 11 Megapixel EOS

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Canon announces 11 Megapixel EOS
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 03:09:44 -0700
On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:51:21 -0700
Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(snip..snip)

 The other thing you do not see discussed is the number of bits.  16
 bit images are sort of standard in image processing I think, but some
 scanners' raw images may have 18 bits or more. My version of
 Photoshop just throws them away, but later versions might work with
 those extra bits. Might not you end up with more bits in a raw image
 from a camera as opposed to the bits available in the built in TIFF
 algorithm.  Is there a bit standard for these digital cameras?

Actually TIFF format is very well designed.  It can easily handle 8 bit,
16 bit, and 32 (floating point) formats.

It is PhotoShop that has been a little behind the times in supporting
the other bit depths.  Actually you can do some image adjustments with
16 bit in PhotoShop, but you have to do them without "layers" (just like
the old days).

There are other image processing programs out there that can edit in 16
bit, too.

Tal

I was just concerned about the TIFF format that is built into the camera and its limitation if any - whether the person who was saving raw format was getting more bits. It may not be the industrial strength built into a desktop graphics program.

Winsor