Re: [OM] [OT] Canon announces 11 Megapixel EOS

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Canon announces 11 Megapixel EOS
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:12:40 GMT
Cc:
>> Don't confuse the megapixels with the full-frame issue.  I agree
>> that it may be overkill beyond the number of pixels necessary
>> for a full-frame sensor (then again, maybe not, time will tell).
>> But a full-frame sensor eliminates the problem of your DSLR
>> magnifying your lens 1.6X (i.e. converting your 50 into an 80)
>> due to the smaller than 35mm film size sensor.  The importance
>> of a full-frame sensor is huge, especially if you use wide angle
>> lenses.
>
>Unless (being the contrarian), you build a complete new DSLR
>system, like Olympus is doing. It can be smaller and lighter with
>less expensive optics. Be interesting to see. Wide-angle will
>still be a problem, though, and that's my favorite!

That's one way of looking at it.  Another way is that Canon and
Nikon don't want to alienate their customers by preventing them
from using their existing stock of lenses with their new DSRLs.
Olympus has proven that they do not care about their existing
customer base.  Olympus will remain a niche player for this
reason.

Pete