Re: [OM] [OT] Canon announces 11 Megapixel EOS

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Canon announces 11 Megapixel EOS
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:51:21 -0700
RAW or TIFF? I thought RAW was the unprocessed output from the
imaging device and can't be read or used by anything else until the
equivalent of the in-camera firmware processing is done on a
computer to convert it to a standard graphics format. TIFF is a
format that won't result in any artifacts and requires no further
processing in the computer before being read/printed by standard
graphics programs. JPEG results in loss of image information, the
amount depending on the level of compression. TIFF is always
lossless. Uncompressed, it carries all the original info directly.
The TIFF compression algorithm is also lossless, so the amount of
compression varies with the image details. I think I average about
25ompression using it in Vuescan on my film scanner.

Moose

The other thing you do not see discussed is the number of bits.  16
bit images are sort of standard in image processing I think, but some
scanners' raw images may have 18 bits or more. My version of
Photoshop just throws them away, but later versions might work with
those extra bits. Might not you end up with more bits in a raw image
from a camera as opposed to the bits available in the built in TIFF
algorithm.  Is there a bit standard for these digital cameras?
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?