Re: [OM] [OT] Canon announces 11 Megapixel EOS

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Canon announces 11 Megapixel EOS
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:00:05 +0800

Tal Lancaster wrote:

> I have to disagree.  For me, 8x10 are my proof size (for which I use my
> Epson 785EPX).  My regular printing is more like 11x14, 16x24 and 20x30.
>  The larger sizes just look so much better to me.

Besides slide projection, I only have two prints in 16x20 and all the
rest are small prints for albumn and some 8x10 that is free of charge
with D&P.

> (To be honest I haven't tried this latest batch of digital cameras so
> maybe these are being addressed) Here are some deficiencies that I feel
> digital cameras have that I don't think I have seen anybody mention yet.
>
> 1. exposure range
>      If slides have 5 fstops and negatives have 7 fstops, it has been my
> observation that digital cameras feel like they only have 3-4 fstops.
> It is extremely easy to blow out the exposures.  When shooting slides, I
> find it very difficult to expose to prevent getting settings too over
> exposed.  Under digital it is almost impossible.

In my experience DC has similar exposure range. Even you can't manage
slide, with a DC you can use extensive bracketing. It is a challenge
and fun to pay with slides, if you missed it you miss too much in
photography.

>     For example some list member posted some random pictures from his
> digital camera, earlier this week.  There were a lot of areas that were
> blown out that I don't think I would have seen if they were slides.

Why don't you pick some better one as examples? Actually you will see
it if the slide is badly exposed.

> 2. With the larger image size:
>    A. Comes the need to transfer large amounts of data fast in a
> reasonable time frame.  Currently (not counting burst mode) the time
> frame between a shots is more like 15 seconds.  An eternity when trying
> to capture the right moment.
>    With my OM, I can easily snap off in under 5 seconds even with the
> winder off and a cable release.

The professional model can capture 3-5 frames a second up to 15. The
E-10 can capture can 3fps up to 4. Time lag is same as OM4 and faster
than OM2sp, good enough? No? there is always newer and better one
coming.

>    B. comes the need for very large data storage at a reasonable price.
> If talking about a camera capable of storing 80-100M files, a 256M or
> 512M data card isn't going to really cut it.  The 1Gs just came out
> recently, but still very pricey and it still will only hold about 10
> images.

Low compression JPEG has very good quality, a 4-5MB file of a 5Mpixel
DC is good for 11x14 print. The 1G microdrive has been there for over
two years and it works very well, price is around $220, it can hold
200pcs good quality images and it is reusable.

C.H.Ling