Re: [OM] [OT] Canon announces 11 Megapixel EOS

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Canon announces 11 Megapixel EOS
From: Tal Lancaster <talrmr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:16:09 -0700
On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:24:48 -0400
William Clark <wclark@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I saw this too.  But lets get real.  Who needs this megapixel stuff
> unless you want medium format.  Over the course of the summer I used
> the E20, D100 and Finepix S2 (this one at a Nova Scotia dealer on
> holidays).  You know what, I would be happy with the resolution on all
> of them.  i printed up to 8x10 with all of them with SUPERB results on
> an Epson 785EPX (same print engine as the 1280).  I may print 1 11x14
> in my life time, so I doubt 10 megapixels or 20 megapixels (see link
> below) with be of anyuse to the general person:

I have to disagree.  For me, 8x10 are my proof size (for which I use my
Epson 785EPX).  My regular printing is more like 11x14, 16x24 and 20x30.
 The larger sizes just look so much better to me.

So for me, I would even think about giving up film until the digital
cameras (CCDs, lenses, capture rate) exceed what I can capture with my
OM.

(To be honest I haven't tried this latest batch of digital cameras so
maybe these are being addressed) Here are some deficiencies that I feel
digital cameras have that I don't think I have seen anybody mention yet.

1. exposure range
     If slides have 5 fstops and negatives have 7 fstops, it has been my
observation that digital cameras feel like they only have 3-4 fstops.
It is extremely easy to blow out the exposures.  When shooting slides, I
find it very difficult to expose to prevent getting settings too over
exposed.  Under digital it is almost impossible.

    For example some list member posted some random pictures from his
digital camera, earlier this week.  There were a lot of areas that were
blown out that I don't think I would have seen if they were slides.

2. With the larger image size:
   A. Comes the need to transfer large amounts of data fast in a
reasonable time frame.  Currently (not counting burst mode) the time
frame between a shots is more like 15 seconds.  An eternity when trying
to capture the right moment.
   With my OM, I can easily snap off in under 5 seconds even with the
winder off and a cable release.

   B. comes the need for very large data storage at a reasonable price.
If talking about a camera capable of storing 80-100M files, a 256M or
512M data card isn't going to really cut it.  The 1Gs just came out
recently, but still very pricey and it still will only hold about 10
images.

Rant done.

[snip..snip]

--