Re: [OM] Filter recommendations for a newbie

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter recommendations for a newbie
From: Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:56:15 +0200
I hate to answer a question with a question, don't you?
But it depends what sort of pictures you want to take?  And color or
black/white?

I've used the Cokin system for color landscape work because one of the
frequent needs is to darken down the sky to bring the overall tonal range
within the capability of the film (and leave some details in the sky).
This needs a graduated (typically grey) filter which needs to be
rectangular and with the possibility to slide it up and down according to
where you place the horizon.  The people who 'taught' me recommend Lee
filters, but they're not cheap.

So for landscape I think you need the minimum:
- (circular) polariser to emphasize blueness of sky (used with moderation)
- graduated grey (neutral); start with 0.6 (= 2 stops darkening); hard or
soft graduation/edge doesn't seem too important
- warm-up, probably 81b

Personally, as a cheapskate, my polarizing filter is a 52mm circular
threaded type (plus step-down to 49mm) 'cos I had it before I got into
Cokin and the P-size polarizer ain't cheap.  My wife bought the Cokin one
so we share when I want to use with a wider lens.

Don't even consider the Cokin A series - go straight to P which is big
enough for about 24/28mm.

Good filtering
Jez