Re:[OM] Filter recommendations for a newbie

Subject: Re:[OM] Filter recommendations for a newbie
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:36:46 -0500
At 08:03 8/26/02, Pete wrote:
>Oh, and is there any harm in using a circular polariser with
>my OM-2 since the Nikon (with auto-focus) requires it?

No harm, except that you will have to pay attention to the
orientation of the polarizer each time before you shoot. This
is a minor detail. By the way, the best filters are multicoated
(PMC) Heliopan.

Pete

Use it just as you would a linear. I'm puzzled by "except that you will have to pay attention to the orientation." Using a circular is no different from using a linear; they're both the same in that regard.

The only difference between the two is a circular has a quarter-wave plate cemented to the back side of the linear polarizing plate. The linear in front behaves the same in both. The quarter-wave plate circularly polarizes the (now linear polarized) light that survives filtering from the linear plate. To a half-silvered mirror (which is a form of linear polarizer), circularly polarized light is effectively the same as randomly polarized light. To a full-silvered mirror (OM-2[n]) linear, circular or random makes no difference.

-- John