Re: [OM] Filter recommendations for a newbie

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter recommendations for a newbie
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:43:45 -0500
At 08:33 8/26/02, Jamie Costello wrote:

I do agree with Pete's high appraisal of Heliopan.   The newest Heliopan
models are all "slim" and can be used on wide-angles.  I also have B+W
circular polarizers and like them as well.   Both B+W and Heliopan tend to
be on the upper end, price-wise as they both use Schott glass.  However
there are very good deals around if you look.

IMO both Heliopan and B+W (made by Schneider Kreuznach) are in the same class at the very top end of filters. Second place goes to Hoya and some of the old Vivitar filters (with brass rings) that use dye in the glass, notably their multi-coated ones. I don't believe Vivitar makes them any more. Third goes to Tiffen, whose aluminum rings often gall on the OM Zuiko filter threads making them very, very difficult to remove at times. In addition, Tiffen uses a "sandwich" method placing a filter gel between two plates of glass. I've never been fond of that as I've seen older filters made this way separate (pretty ugly when it happens).

-- John