Re: [OM] Filter recommendations for a newbie

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter recommendations for a newbie
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 19:46:51 GMT
Cc:
>Aside from vignetting and obvious build problems (e.g., cheap
>plastic), what differentiates, say, a Lee filter from a Heliopan
>filter from a Cokin system filter?

As someone else posted, only Heliopan and B+W use Schott glass,
which is held in the highest regard.  And if the quality of the
glass is not important to you, then why not just buy the cheapest
Sigma, et all lenses?  Also, only Heliopan and B+W use brass in
the ring.  All other makes, to my knowledge, use aluminum, which
can stick (preventing easy removal).  Slim mounts will eliminate
all but the nastiest vignetting, and are usable on 21mm and up
(don't know about 18mm and below). Hoya is good, but I happen to
like the Schott glass, so I stick with Heliopan and B+W.  Finally,
all of Heliopan's current production is of the slim mount variety
(except for certain polarizers), while B+W still makes many
filters in the 8mm (non-slim) size.

Pete