RE: [OM] Best Tri-pod for OM

Subject: RE: [OM] Best Tri-pod for OM
From: "Larry J. Clark" <ljclark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 19:51:43 -0400
I have two tripods.

  A Bogen 3221 with the 410 mini-geared head.  Notes:  (1) If the current
version has a detachable extension for the center column, toss it out.  No
sense in getting a good set of legs and having a wobbly center column.  You
should only need enough for fine tuning the height, and to attach a level
to.  (2) I glued a brass spirit level to the cap of the 410 head...Always
level the tripod first.  (3) the feet with the pointy tips are junk.  (3)
The platform of the 410 can be a problem...I have a 100mm f/2, which has a
large diameter...It extends below the bottom of the camera so if you clamp
the camera down in the wrong slot, the lens won't focus (found out during
Hale-Bopp).  (5) The mini-geared head is super...Gives you such precise
control.

  A Benbo Trekker/Mini-Trekker.  If I had one tripod, this would be it.
Biggest problem is remembering to hold onto the camera when you loosen the
single BENt BOlt.  I know what I said above about center columns, but the
Benbos will do so many things in so many positions...

Gitzo vs. Bogen/Manfrotto:  The only think I don't like about Gitzos are the
collar leg locks.  They just don't do it for the way I want to work.

Bogen/Manfrotto Carbon One:  I just picked up their monopod (11 pound
capacity) to supplement my large Bogen monopod (22 pound capacity).  The
Carbon One cost just about the same as a similar size Gitzo, but is lighter,
has a better head, and was steadier when extended.

Geared center columns:  (Probably invented by the same people who dreamed up
tube socks.)  This is a way to keep the tripod legs shorter so you don't see
how shakey they really are.  Make sure the top casting of the tripod is high
enough for you with the legs fully extended and any center column fully
retracted.

Larry

 Paradigm Associates...
  "Providing Complex Solutions for Simple Problems"
     Visit our web site at:
         http://www.twodimes.org
     or set your navigation system to:
         38-46.883N  77-15.818W