RE: [OM] Best Tri-pod for OM

Subject: RE: [OM] Best Tri-pod for OM
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:43:36 -0600
> I think that it all depends on what kind of lenses you are
> using.  Bogen are certainly good, but maybe sometimes a bit pricey.

 I've got a Manfrotto 055PRO, which I like a lot (manfrotto=bogen) -- solid,
not too heavy to carry around, though I'd not want to hike with it,
versatile enough to take photos at pretty much any angle (the pro version is
the one where the center column goes on sideways).

> I'd start there, but be sure to look for solid tubular
> construction, and levers that aren't a pain to use repeatedly.

 This is one of the click-open, click-closed ones; Gitzo, which people like,
has the screw-to-tighten, which works just as well, though you have to
remember which order to do things in. I've also seen wooden tripods with
wingnuts to tighten the sections together, though those don't tend to be
tripods that are being moved around as often.

> column.  I matched it with a mini-gear head, but if you are starting
> out, I would look to the 3001BPRO.

 Yes, if I was a bit shorter I'd have gone for that (the one I have =
3021pro), but I wanted to have the camera at eye-level without needing the
center column.

 -- dan