RE: [OM] Coming back to his senses on Technology

Subject: RE: [OM] Coming back to his senses on Technology
From: "Larry J. Clark" <ljclark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 20:09:55 -0400
Interesting...A few comments.

Serious photographer for 35 years...Photojournalism major...Never saw a
glued camera.

> We had 15 years of product
> decline once Olympus decided to not pursue professional
> auto-focus.  They have, however, jumped into the fray in a
> mammoth way with digital.  In the digital world, Olympus
> rules--but without a professional DSLR system they will be
> toast.

We don't know what is coming from Olympus at photokina, but it will likely
not be a DSLR that uses the OM mount.

I recently jumped into AF because it produces the photos people expect,
especially in sports.  But for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone
would need AF for lenses shorter than 35mm -- but even high end AF cameras
are a little strange to focus off the screen.  I'll be sending my 150-500
Tokina off as a trade-in in the next few days...Hurts to think what it cost
5 1/2 years ago.  :-(

> Is the Olympus obsolete?  Yes and no.  For a photographer
> settling on a system of which he has no investment in yet, I'd
> say DON'T buy Olympus.  Remember, this person must select
> something that he is comfortable with using and building on for
> the next 15 years.  For those who already have built up a
> system, there is little reason to change--unless the features
> and capabilities aren't up to what you need.

The OM is still a superb camera for photographers -- less so for picture
takers.