Re: [OM] Coming back to his senses on Technology

Subject: Re: [OM] Coming back to his senses on Technology
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 05:57:32 -0700 (PDT)
--- Lee Penzias <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think from the market point of view (and hence
> "where cameras are
> generally going") - there is the largest group of
> camera buyers - the
> general consumer.
>
> These are not limted to but include the more afluent
> that know nothing or
> little about photography, are not interested in
> photography as a hobby or
> source of income, but "want a camera to take
> pictures with", go out shopping
> and come home with a $400-$1400 outfit "to take
> pictures with".
 Yes Lee, these are some of the same people who come
to us, their friends, and want advice on what is a
"good camera". There is the preception that if they
spend enough money for this camera they will get "real
good pictures". How many times have we had all had
this conversation? "uh Lee" Yes. "I know you know alot
about photography and I was wondering, I wanna buy a
good camera, what kind do you think I should get", or
something to that effect. Then we start the 20
questions, trying to determine what their needs and
expectations are. Or they add "Is a (name brand here)
a good camera?" "I know this guy at work, and he has a
(name brand nere) camera and his pictures are real
good." If I'm in a mood I reply without hesatation,
Speed Graphic, a puzzled look, "what?" Ya want good
pictures don't ya? "well..yes", then there ain't
nutten like a good four by five Graphic! I don't
smoke, but at times like that I almost wish I had a
soggy cigar poking out of the corner of my mouth, for
the effect. My apoligies to the list for this ramble,
I'm in a mood.    John Robison