Re: [OM] potential london trip forthcoming...what to shoot, what to see?

Subject: Re: [OM] potential london trip forthcoming...what to shoot, what to see?
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 10:49:41 +0100
On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 02:56:38 -0500, "Lee Penzias"
<l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>London? Yikes.. I haven't been there since the mid 90's - and during the
>early 80's used to drive through it at 3am (from Germany to N. Wales) to
>avoid the traffic. When they built the M25 around it I was much happier -
>until that clogged up too and I still had to aim to run it in the early
>morning hours. I can't say I ever liked the place - but the buses are
>probably best. You get around pretty cheap, and you get a bit of a view at
>the same time.

North Wales is by far better!!!!!   Do go there - it's often
forgotten.

>My own picks would be the museums - especially the Imperial War Museum, and
>the Maritime Museum at Greenwich. Oh - and the zoo :) Then head out
>somewhere else; like Cornwall, or the West Wales coast. Manchester is a
>nasty place IMO. Scotland is about 300 due north of London. If you are
>planning more than a week, the cheapest way to travel might be a rail pass -
>a weeks travel anywhere by British Rail for a prepaid fee ticket. Inquire at
>nearest British Rail station on arrival (not the tube/underground) or in
>advance.... (search keyword: BritRail)

British Rail no longer exists, unfortunately. A certain lady called
Mrs Thatcher saw to that and "privatised" this and many other of our
national institutions. Britain's rail system is now fragmented and is
still in a state of change. However you can get rail passes: go to
www.britrail.com

Regards

John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)