Re: [OM] (OT) Digital vs Analog / archive slide scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Digital vs Analog / archive slide scanning
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:39:02 -0700
on 6/28/02 7:30 AM, frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx at
frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 03:32:22PM -0700, Jim Brokaw wrote:
>>
>> My aunt has a scrapbook of newspaper clippings, old photos, etc. of my Mom's
>> family from the 1930's on into the 1970's. I didn't even know this existed
>> until about a year ago... I'd like to get it and scan everything and write
>> it out to CD's to give to everyone that's interested. My thinking is that
>> paper ages, but digital can be updated forever, and also that it would be
>> difficult to make paper copies of everything and distribute them, but
>> sending out CD's would be simple. My Dad has compiled some geneaology
>> research too, I want to get that shared so it is carried on... To my way of
>> thinking, these images are my family heritage, and I want to share it with
>> the whole family.
>> --
>
> Jim,
> Scan it, have fun sharing it with others, like we do with ouer family
> heritage. But don't trust digital to be supperior to aging paper in any way.
> Keep your faded originals! Sure always updated digital can last forever,
> but digital content sleeping for 3 decades 1970-2001  (=no update)
> is a roulette whether it will survive.
> Just my opinion
>
> Frieder Faig

One thing I noticed in looking at the scrapbook was that many of the
newspaper clippings (my uncle's return from Korean War military service,
another uncle's wedding announcement, etc...) had yellowed. I would expect
that a scan could be corrected to fix that. Also, some of the photos
(ancient black & white) were cracked, which is standard Photoshop picture
restoration stuff. I'm actually looking forward to getting to do this!

Agree with you regarding the ancient digital formats... my brother bought a
Coleco Adam computer, and we couldn't get the cassette-based tape drive to
work even then when it was new...!
--

Jim Brokaw