Re: [OM] (OT) Digital vs Analog / archive slide scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Digital vs Analog / archive slide scanning
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:30:04 +0200
On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 03:32:22PM -0700, Jim Brokaw wrote:

> My aunt has a scrapbook of newspaper clippings, old photos, etc. of my Mom's
> family from the 1930's on into the 1970's. I didn't even know this existed
> until about a year ago... I'd like to get it and scan everything and write
> it out to CD's to give to everyone that's interested. My thinking is that
> paper ages, but digital can be updated forever, and also that it would be
> difficult to make paper copies of everything and distribute them, but
> sending out CD's would be simple. My Dad has compiled some geneaology
> research too, I want to get that shared so it is carried on... To my way of
> thinking, these images are my family heritage, and I want to share it with
> the whole family.
> --

Jim,
Scan it, have fun sharing it with others, like we do with ouer family
heritage. But don't trust digital to be supperior to aging paper in any way.
Keep your faded originals! Sure always updated digital can last forever,
but digital content sleeping for 3 decades 1970-2001  (=no update)
 is a roulette whether it will survive.
Just my opinion

Frieder Faig