Re: [OM] (OT) Digital vs Analog / archive slide scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Digital vs Analog / archive slide scanning
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:32:22 -0700
on 6/27/02 12:28 PM, Sue Gregson at sue@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I love using my OM cameras, taking pictures with them is great. But I do
> like digital some of the time - point and shoot with my kids is  ideal,
> they love seeing the images straight away. I've been scanning my
> grandad's collection - a long time before I get to the end of that.
> These images are up to 50 years old, some may even be 1930's images. I'm
> sharing copies of these amongst my family and digital is ideal for this.
> Formats will change in the future, media for storage will change but if
> I don't archive these pretty soon they will not be around much longer -
> many are not in great condition and it's amazing what I have recovered
> from these deteriorating negs. My grandad managed some nice images with
> very basic kit, it's nice to be able to enjoy his efforts so long after
> he's passed away.
>
> Cheers
> Sue Gregson

My aunt has a scrapbook of newspaper clippings, old photos, etc. of my Mom's
family from the 1930's on into the 1970's. I didn't even know this existed
until about a year ago... I'd like to get it and scan everything and write
it out to CD's to give to everyone that's interested. My thinking is that
paper ages, but digital can be updated forever, and also that it would be
difficult to make paper copies of everything and distribute them, but
sending out CD's would be simple. My Dad has compiled some geneaology
research too, I want to get that shared so it is carried on... To my way of
thinking, these images are my family heritage, and I want to share it with
the whole family.
--

Jim Brokaw