RE: [OM] fireworks fora

Subject: RE: [OM] fireworks fora
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:16:15 -0500
At 14:22 6/25/02, Mike Cormier pondered:

Agenda has no "s"... ever.  I'm not sure about index, and it's Octopii.

Liberte tu te me de latin..... ;)

"Indices" is the proper plural of "index."

FWIW:
  "Musea" is the proper plural of "museum,"
  "gymnasia" is the proper plural of "gymnasium," and
  "cacti" is the proper plural of "cactus."

The last one, when pluralized using the very improper "cactuses" grates on my ears as fingernails on a chalk board! My mother was adamant about properly pluralizing Latin words. If I erred, the resulting correction was swift, before the sentence was finished, and I was required to repeat it properly several times. The harshness resulted from her career as an executive secretary. A few of the executives she worked for could neither speak nor write well, and she saw how it limited their careers (not to mention her ire at continuously having to correct their writing).

-- John