RE: [OM] [OT}Latin endings, was fireworks fora

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT}Latin endings, was fireworks fora
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:36:09 -0700
At 01:29 6/26/02, Winsor Crosby wondered:

I wonder why no one ever worries about Saxon endings, cases, or
word order in a language that is more Germanic than Latin?
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

It was an event that occurred on Caldbec Hill which overlooks
Hastings, England.  Harold II, Saxon King of England met William the
Conquerer (Duke of Normandy) Friday, October 13th, 1066, and the
battle was enjoined the next day after Harold II refused terms from
the Normans.  Had it not been for a desperate forced march of 270
miles from having just defeated the Danes, Harold II might have had
a better chance.

Thus began the "romanticizing" of Anglo-Saxon, a Germanic based
language, with Latin and French.  Indeed, French was the official
language of the English Crown and Court for some time (read the
motto on the British Coat of Arms).  And that's why more attention
is paid to proper Latin usage than Anglo-Saxon (or other Germanic
roots).  Ever wonder why English is among the most difficult of
languages?  Its lexical is a potpourri of Germanic and Latin based
words, heavily seasoned in places with Greek, and lightly seasoned
with a hodge-podge of everything else.

-- John

I suppose that my query was intended to be more philosophical than
historical. It seems to me that regularizing endings by dumping Latin
endings for words that have been integrated into the English is part
of the process of language development.  However, at every step of
the way you have people jumping up and down shouting, "Corruption!",
almost in the same manner that the French sneer at poorly spoken
French.  Inherited attitude? Hmmm.  The irony is that the Latinate
ending could be argued to be the corruption.

In addition the disagreement smacks of class structure which
Americans and Canadians like to pretend that they left behind.  If I
say 'octopi' or use some other Latinate plural outside of a
specialized environment, it immediately identifies me as better
educated or even seeing myself as higher class than the majority use
a more normalized plural ending.  One result is that the user of
Latinate endings that are not general usage and irregular in English
get to be seen as conservative and out of touch at best,  and
pretentious at worst.

So let's hear it for the Anglo-Saxons.  :-)

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?